On 29 Aug 2012, at 02:44, Adam Barta wrote:
> You could also try an ssh port forward to the katcp port ssh -vNL
> 7147:roach:7147 gateway
> Then use the katcp interface to read / write the registers. There is a
> katcp_wrapper.py in the corr library

I would like to re-inforce this suggestion if you need SSH tunnelling through a
firewall. A general word of warning to the CASPER community, which we also
explained at the recent workshop...

MeerKAT will not be supporting filesystem-level access in future boards (quite
possibly starting with ROACH-2 already) and so, unless someone else in the
collaboration picks it up, you'll be on your own if you write custom software
to run on the PPC/BORPH because new platforms might not even run BORPH at all.
There are a number of reasons for this decision, one being that we've run into
performance limitations with BORPH, but also that it's a big overhead to port
and debug and to keep it running reliably.

The only interface supported by SKA-SA will be through KATCP. So if you start
using the KATCP interface now, you'll have a transparent upgrade path to future
boards. I'd suggest you don't worry yourself too much with the low-level
detail... this is part of what CASPER tries to abstract away to ease your life
as an instrument designer.

If you don't want to write your own KATCP interface (and who does?!), consider
using one of the existing ones. The best developed ones are in c (which
includes a command-line executable for a single-line, ipython-like interactive
experience from the shell prompt if you just want to call a shell script with a
bunch of commands), available at https://github.com/ska-sa/katcp_devel, or a
number of CASPER collaborators are using the python wrapper from corr if you
want to build a higher-level GUI application. You can find a one-page getting
started guide here: https://casper.berkeley.edu/wiki/Corr

Jason