Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 12:25:17 -0500
From: Rich Lacasse <rlaca...@nrao.edu>
To: casper@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [casper] SFP+ board reliability

Hi All,

We've had a failure of an SFP+ board for no apparent reason. We've not put any work into trouble shooting except to isolate the failure to the SFP+ board, as opposed to a ROACH2 or optical transceiver.

Has anyone else experienced failures?

The two PHY chips on these boards run very warm whether or not they are transmitting data. We are considering putting heatsinks on them. Has anyone else been down this road already? Any other advice?

Thanks,
Rich