you mentioned your 1 PPS is a square wave.
that's different from everyone else's 1 PPS:

standard 1 PPS systems output a pulse that is
high for about 1 uS.  (extremely low duty cycle).

i don't know if a square wave could be a problem - my guess
is that the correlator design uses an edge detection block,
so is only sensitive to edges, not levels, but it might
be worth investigating.

best wishes,

dan

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 9:03 AM, Richard Black <aeldstes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> We use our own homegrown NFS root filesystem for the ROACH2s, so I can't
>>> comment on the status of the one you refer to
>>> (https://github.com/ska-sa/roach2_nfs_uboot.git).  I am more interested in
>>> the U-Boot version you have (see https://github.com/ska-sa/roach2_uboot.git)
>>> and which version of the ROACH2 CPLD image you are using (not sure where to
>>> get this).  I think these are unlikely to be problematic, but we've already
>>> checked all the likely problems.
>>

>> When I rebooted the ROACH-2, I got the following header for U-Boot:
>>
>> U-Boot 2011.06-rc2-00000-g2694c9d-dirty (Dec 04 2013 - 20:58:06)
>> CPLD: 2.1
>>
>> Hope this is informative.

>>> Do you have an external 1 PPS sync pulse connected or have you tried the
>>> latest rb-papergpu software that supports a software-generated "sync"?  The
>>> paper_feng_init.rb script already disables the data flow to the 10 GbE cores
>>> until the sync pulse has propagated through and the cores have been taken
>>> out of reset.
>>>

>> We are using an external 1 PPS sync pulse. However, we are certain that
>> it's set up correctly. Although, this could just be me grasping at straws
>> since nothing else seems to solve the problem. How would we go about setting
>> up the software-generated pulse?
>>

>>> Does the latest rb-papergpu code show that the ADC clocks (MMCMs) are
>>> locked?  Does it estimate the clock frequency correctly?  Does
>>> adc16_dump_chans.rb show samples that correspond correctly to the analog
>>> inputs (e.g. a CW tone)?
>>

>> I've attached an image of the output from xtor_up.sh -f 1 with the latest
>> rb-papergpu code. Nothing significant to note: the clock reads ~200 MHz.
>>
>> I've also attached an image of the output from adc16_dump_chans.rb, where
>> A1 has a CW tone with a 10-MHz 40-V emf signal. You can see the oscillations
>> in the first column and noise everywhere else.

>>> Does it have the "L" suffix on the "100.000L" frequency part of the chip
>>> markings?
>>>

>> Yes, it does.
>>

>>> On a related note, as I sent off-list to you and Peter earlier today:
>>> The fact that the Peter can send small packets at 200 MHz without overflow,
>>> but large packets give overflow is very interesting and puzzling.  I assume
>>> that the smaller packets are just fewer channels of the same length spectrum
>>> and that the number of packets per second remains the same (I think we
>>> discussed this previously).  In that case, the small packets reduce the data
>>> rate, which suggests that the 156.25 MHz "xaui_ref_clk" clock is maybe not
>>> really 156.25 MHz but something somewhat slower.  This clock is driven by
>>> the oscillator at U56 and the clock splitter at U54 (see attached schematic
>>> snippet).  Can you please inspect those parts on your board(s)?  I will be
>>> able to inspect a ROACH2 this afternoon and report what I have on a known
>>> working system.
>>>
>>> On one of our ROACH2s U56 is labeled like this:

>>> 156.250L