Dear John, Bob and Peter,
I apologize for the belated replay and thanks a lot for your suggestions.

We believe the problem was not related to ownership and permissions but,
instead, related to the xfs file system.

In fact, at boot the ROACH2 nfs client uses by default the NFSv2 protocol
to mount the remote file system, but this version has some issues in
exporting xfs partitions.

To fix this problem it is possible to configure the NFSv3 protocol for the
booting procedure by editing the /etc/dnsmasq.conf as follow:

dhcp-option=net:roach2,17,192.168.40.1:
/home/nfs/roach2/current,nolock,nfsvers=3

instead of

dhcp-option=net:roach2,17,192.168.40.1:/home/nfs/roach2/current,nolock

Now all the system is working properly.

Best,

ag.