Hi, Paul,

Probably you are, but just to verify, are you running tcpborphserver2 from the
command line as root?

It sounds like something changes between boot time and command line time.  Are
you sure it's the same tcpborphserver2 executable that is getting executed?
Are you running additional processes post-boot that might be
locking/hogging/clobbering some resource(s) that tcpborphserver2 needs?  Have
you tried running tcpborphserver2 under strace to see if that helps pinpoint
what is failing?

Just some ideas,
Dave