Hi,
I just received a new ROACH 2 and was starting out by hooking up the USB
FTDI port to my Windows 8.1 laptop. I let it install a driver for the FTDI
chip and all seemed fine, I could see the uboot prompt etc. However, then
the board started rebooting itself every ~ 10 seconds. I suspected a
hardware problem, but eventually I got my DHCP server configured to give
the ROACH an IP address. I disconnected the USB cable from my laptop and
rebooted the ROACH 2, after which I was able to connect by ssh and KATCP
and everything seemed fine. I then moved the USB cable to a CentOS computer
and that seems to work without causing reboots.
So the moral of the story is: beware trying to use the default FTDI Windows
8.1 driver that windows installs for you.

Glenn