There's a PhD studentship to work with me in the Imaging and Sensing group at
Manchester Metropolitan University. The main drive of the work I'm interested
in is the use of digital type radio receivers which sample short words (single
bit, 1.5bit 2 bits) and then digitally cross-correlating them to develop
sensing applications. The objectives are to examine simple analogue/digital
electronic circuits, high-speed mathematical operations running inside FPGAs,
and algorithms operating on accumulated quantities that exploit coherence
properties of passive (radiometric) emission. Radio astronomy aperture
synthesis is a good application of this technique, but the objective here is
examine other moments of coherence and algorithms in a general sense to find
new sensing  and imaging schemes, perhaps some quantum measurements, and to
find new applications.

Interested parties should check out the link
http://www.findaphd.com/search/ProjectDetails.aspx?PJID=69983&LID=2719
http://www2.mmu.ac.uk/research/research-study/studentships/engineering-and-materials/
and contact me if they have an interest.

Although the PhD studentship is for a European student, I'd be interested to
hear from potential students from further afield, for which I'd need to make a
case and find a sponsor.

Many thanks,
Neil
Dr Neil A. Salmon
Sensing and Imaging Group, School of Engineering, Manchester Metropolitan
University, Manchester, UK
Office: +44 (0)161 247-1697, Mob: +44 (0)7921172892

"Before acting on this email or opening any attachments you should read the
Manchester Metropolitan University email disclaimer available on its website
http://www.mmu.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer "