Hi Jake,

I don't think anyone has done quite what you're planning. In HERA we have
no FPGA fans and only external airflow, but in our case we place the SNAP
boards in RFI-enclosures, with the FPGA thermally coupled to the enclosure
case via aluminium blocks and thermal compound. Our experience with this is
that the FPGA has runs at perfectly reasonable temperatures, though we have
been having some issues with keeping our PSU chips cool. We're probably
going to resort to coupling these to the enclosure case with more thermal
compound / chunks of metal. This probably isn't really relevant to you,
though I thought I'd tell the story anyway :)

I think in your case with some airflow over the board itself, you'll
probably be fine, but if you want to do some tests:
If you're using casperfpga and the 10GbE microblaze interface, there is a
method:
CasperFpga.transport.get_temp() which will report the temperature of the
FPGA. If you're using the raspberrypi/Katcp interface, there is this XAdc
class (
https://github.com/casper-astro/mlib_devel/blob/master/jasper_library/sw/xadc.py)
which can be used to get FPGA temperature / voltage. Instantiate it by
passing the constructor a CasperFpga instance. Essentially the get_temp
call just reads a register called "xadc" and scales it to get degrees C.

Cheers
Jack