Hello Franco,

As I understand it, PTP wasn't terribly useful in our application (though I
wasn't involved with this directly). You can probably sync the little Linux
instance that runs on the ROACH2, but getting the time information onto
your FPGA may prove somewhat tricky.

Are you using an ADC card in the ROACH2? Or is the data digitised
separately?

What we've done with ROACH and ROACH2 designs in the past is more or less
this:

   - FPGA's clock comes from a timing & frequency reference (TFR).
   - ROACH2 gets a 1PPS input from the same TFR.
   - In the FPGA logic there's a counter which is reset as part of the
   initialisation, and some logic that starts the counter going after a set
   number of 1PPS pulses (two to three, I forget exactly now).
   - The output of this counter is pipelined along with the data and then
   sent out as part of the SPEAD data on the 10GbE network.

The idea here being that you know with a fairly high degree of precision
which pulse your ROACH was initialised on. The counter that comes through
on the SPEAD packet counts in FPGA clock cycles (or multiples thereof,
perhaps you might want to count in spectra), and then you can use the start
time to calculate the timestamp of each packet (Unix time, MJD, whichever
your preferred reference is).

Hope that helps.

Regards,
James