So one way of recovering a roach with erased flash is to jtag a very
small program into the cpu cache/SRAM. That doesn't require the DRAM to
be initialised. From there one can then program the flash.

Such a program exists in

https://github.com/ska-sa/roach2_testing/roach2_production_test/support_files/program.mac

here formatted in a way that the macgraigor tools can understand.

It can speak xmodem, and writes whatever it receives (typically
uboot) to flash.

But these things can be fiddly, so best not to erase uboot if at all possible.

regards

marc

--
https://katfs.kat.ac.za/~marc/