This is a new thread continued from the Facebook-usage thread.

Cassandra automatically shards your data based on the Partitioner you
have setup in storage-conf.xml.  The copies are controlled by the
ReplicationFactor setting in the same configuration file.  If all your
nodes are in the same data center, then the default
ReplicaPlacementStrategy of RackUnawareStrategy should be fine.

Michael