It's not a fantastic fit because as you say you need to read the
contents to be able to see which if any need to be deleted.  (On the
bright side if you are sorting by time uuid, for instance, you won't
need an extra sort step.)

I would predict it would perform better than doing the same thing in a
SQL database though.

-Jonathan