I'm using Scala with my own Cassandra client and the splitting code was
hacked in to get around the exception.  So I'm not sure if my code will help
or not but it's basically:

var row = TheColumnFamily(key)
var count = 0

// dataToInsert is a map of column names to values
dataToInsert.foreach { case (name,value) =>
    row(name) = value
    count += 1

    // Flush every 10,000 columns
    if(count % 10000 == 0) {
        row.save
        row = TheColumnFamily(key)
    }
}

// Flush anything that's left over
row.save

When I get around to it I'll push the logic down to either my Row class and
have it auto-flush when it hits a column limit or modify my batchInsert
method to split the data into multiple batch_insert calls.

-Tim