On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 11:44:03 -0500 Ian Holsman <i...@holsman.net> wrote:

IH> I'd like to see how many times a specific user hits the site,
IH> without having to add them up every time.

Please excuse any inaccuracies here, I don't know Cassandra as well as
Jonathan and many others here.

Looking at the source, get_count over a super column seems to be
inefficient for this purpose (in
CassandraServer.java::multigetCountInternal()).  Would optimizing that
solve your need?  I'd guess that even ConsistencyLevel.QUORUM can be
pretty efficient if this is optimized (modulo the network latency), but
ConsistencyLevel.ONE can definitely be faster if the intermediate
columns are not created.

I only found https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-329 to be
slightly related to this, so I don't think it's been considered before.

Ted