1) use jconsole to see what is happening to jvm / cassandra internals.
 possibly you are slowly exceeding cassandra's ability to keep up with
writes, causing the jvm to spend more and more effort GCing to find
enough memory to keep going

2) you should be at least on 0.4.2 and preferably trunk if you are
stress testing

-Jonathan