2010/1/15 Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com>:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 09:23:08 -0800 Tatu Saloranta <tsalora...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> TS> 2010/1/15 Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com>:
>>> Hell, let's make the query a RESTful HTTP GET, Cassandra a HTTP
>>> server, and return the data as JSON if it's more palatable.  My point
>>> is, string queries are a
>
> TS> No contest there. :-)
>
> If anyone, including you, is interested, I could put together a patch to
> show how Cassandra would respond to REST HTTP queries with JSON-encoded
> data.  Based on the feedback so far it seems like it wouldn't make it in
> the core, though.
>
> I could provide a way to plug in your own API to Cassandra so anyone
> could write a full API using PB, HTTP, or whatever protocol they like.
> Underneath it could invoke the Thrift interface methods locally and
> relay their results out.  This would be really nice but again I doubt it
> would be included in the core.

I would find it useful to have such an alternative interface. I have
nothing against Thrift, but there are cases where simpler interface
would be useful. And in those cases it would be fine to have this as
sort of adapter.

For what it's worth, I think it would be nice to keep the two
(transport over http, contents as json) separate, if possible. I like
JSON, but there are use cases where other formats are better.
For numeric data, for example, binary formats are more compact.

-+ Tatu +-