Here's the code I've just written over the weekend and started using in
test:

package com.outbrain.data.cassandra.service;

import java.io.File;
import java.io.FileOutputStream;
import java.io.IOException;
import java.io.InputStream;
import java.io.OutputStream;

import org.apache.cassandra.config.DatabaseDescriptor;
import org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon;
import org.apache.cassandra.utils.FileUtils;
import org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException;
import org.slf4j.Logger;
import org.slf4j.LoggerFactory;

/**
 * An in-memory cassandra storage service that listens to the thrift
interface.
 * Useful for unit testing,
 *
 * @author Ran Tavory (r...@outbain.com)
 *
 */
public class InProcessCassandraServer implements Runnable {

  private static final Logger log =
LoggerFactory.getLogger(InProcessCassandraServer.class);

  CassandraDaemon cassandraDaemon;

  public void init() {
    try {
      prepare();
    } catch (IOException e) {
      log.error("Cannot prepare cassandra.", e);
    }
    try {
      cassandraDaemon = new CassandraDaemon();
      cassandraDaemon.init(null);
    } catch (TTransportException e) {
      log.error("TTransportException", e);
    } catch (IOException e) {
      log.error("IOException", e);
    }
  }

  @Override
  public void run() {
    cassandraDaemon.start();
  }

  public void stop() {
    cassandraDaemon.stop();
    rmdir("tmp");
  }

  /**
   * Creates all files and directories needed
   * @throws IOException
   */
  private void prepare() throws IOException {
    // delete tmp dir first
    rmdir("tmp");
    // make a tmp dir and copy storag-conf.xml and log4j.properties to it
    copy("/cassandra/storage-conf.xml", "tmp");
    copy("/cassandra/log4j.properties", "tmp");
    System.setProperty("storage-config", "tmp");

    // make cassandra directories.
    for (String s: DatabaseDescriptor.getAllDataFileLocations()) {
      mkdir(s);
    }
    mkdir(DatabaseDescriptor.getBootstrapFileLocation());
    mkdir(DatabaseDescriptor.getLogFileLocation());
  }

  /**
   * Copies a resource from within the jar to a directory.
   *
   * @param resourceName
   * @param directory
   * @throws IOException
   */
  private void copy(String resource, String directory) throws IOException {
    mkdir(directory);
    InputStream is = getClass().getResourceAsStream(resource);
    String fileName = resource.substring(resource.lastIndexOf("/") + 1);
    File file = new File(directory + System.getProperty("file.separator") +
fileName);
    OutputStream out = new FileOutputStream(file);
    byte buf[] = new byte[1024];
    int len;
    while ((len = is.read(buf)) > 0) {
      out.write(buf, 0, len);
    }
    out.close();
    is.close();
  }

  /**
   * Creates a directory
   * @param dir
   * @throws IOException
   */
  private void mkdir(String dir) throws IOException {
    FileUtils.createDirectory(dir);
  }

  /**
   * Removes a directory from file system
   * @param dir
   */
  private void rmdir(String dir) {
    FileUtils.deleteDir(new File(dir));
  }
}

And in the test class:

public class XxxTest {

  private static InProcessCassandraServer cassandra;

  @BeforeClass
  public static void setup() throws TTransportException, IOException,
InterruptedException {
    cassandra = new InProcessCassandraServer();
    cassandra.init();
    Thread t = new Thread(cassandra);
    t.setDaemon(true);
    t.start();
  }

  @AfterClass
  public static void shutdown() {
    cassandra.stop();
  }
... test
}

Now you can connect to localhost:9160.

Assumptions:
The code assumes you have two files in your classpath:
/cassandra/stogage-config.xml and /cassandra/log4j.xml. This is convenient
if you use maven, just throw them at /src/test/resources/cassandra/
If you don't work with maven or would like to configure the configuration
files differently it should be fairly easy, just change the prepare()
method.