> check the mapping file use extends key word when defining a class and a
> parent class

yeah, it does. the mapping and all is correct. if i add a dummy field to
the table C and the class C, it works fine. then the update statement that
castor exceutes reads as :
    UPDATE "C" SET "dummy"=? WHERE "id"=? and "dummy"=?

but whithout the dummy field, it reads:
    UPDATE "C" SET WHERE "id"=?

which IS NOT A VALID sql statement.