Castor doesn't create recursive extends, per se. What it's doing in the
default "element" mode (or for top-level elements in "type" mode)
binding is creating a class for the element and then a class for the
complexType. The class for the element extends that of the complexType.
If both element and complexType happen to have the same name, then a
collision occurs. Castor will over-write (if you so specified using the
-f switch or answered 'y' on the command line when Castor reports the
error) one of the classes. If the class for the element is the remaining
class, it will appear as if it extends itself. If the class for the
complexType is the remaining class, then it will appear as if no class
was created for the element.

In "element" mode, if you have elements and complexTypes with the same
name, then you must use a binding-file when creating the source code. In
"type" mode you only have to do this if you have top-level elements with
the same name as a top-level complexType.

If you are generating the source code for Castor's SourceGenerator
example, you need to use the binding file that is provided.

The website has more information on "type" vs. "element" source
generation binding modes.

Thanks,

--Keith