Dear users,

we committers think it's about time that we change a couple of things related to the
Castor mailing lists and the way information is communicated amongst
us (the committers) and you (the community). First of all, this is not a formal
announcement (yet) in the sense that things have already happened, but a small
teaser keeping you informed about what's going on.

First off, there will be two separate mailing lists in the future, named *castor-dev*
and *castor-users*. Obviously, the latter is for discussions amongst the user
community related to the use of Castor, much the same way castor-dev is used right
now. castor-dev will be a public list as well, used mainly by ourselves
(committers) to discuss on-going development issues, incl. bug reports, enhancement
requests, feature requests, etc. Needless to say that we invite
everybody to join in and share their views with us about these development issues (or
just listen silently, but have an awareness of how the project is
progressing and what direction it might be taking). As a result of this split, some of
the information will need to go to both lists, and as such we will provide
guidelines related to cross-posting, etc. in the future.

In the meantime, we are asking for a small change in the usage of the castor-dev
mailing list. Until further announcements, messages related to Castor XML
should be prefixed with [XML], messages related to Castor JDO with [JDO]. This way, it
will be easier for us committers to focus our attention to the relevant
areas.

In addition, going back to my earlier statement about improving the way information is
communicated, you will see the odd email from ourselves prefixed
with RfC or a similar acronym. Information about this will be put up to the Castor web
site, too, but for the time being here's what some of these acronyms
stand for:

RfC (request for comment): we'd like to hear your opinion
RfR (request for review): we've come up with a solution to e.g, an enhancement
request, but would like to have some feedback from the community before
proceeding with the check-in.
Ann (announcement): well, subject says all, I guess .. ;-).

Thank you for listening, and we hope that you'll find this experience even more
enjoyable in the future ...

Werner