Werner Guttmann wrote:

On Tue, 11 May 2004 10:39:09 -0600 (MDT), Bruce Snyder wrote:

This one time, at band camp, Jon Wilmoth said:

JW>I agree it is a pretty complex object, but it allows
JW>for nice reuse of existing objects to form a new
JW>assignment relationship.  While I look for a way to
JW>simplify, I think I've found a bug or undocumented
JW>feature ;)
JW>
JW>I posted a message a couple of days ago about a
JW>getting an
JW>org.exolab.castor.jdo.DataObjectAccessException: Type
JW>conversion error: could not set value of FieldMolder
JW>of
JW>com.apex.chronos.app.authorization.OrganizationRoleAssignment.setorganization(com.apex.chronos.app.party.Organization
JW>organization) with value of type java.lang.Long
JW>
JW>I thought the issue had resolved itself and was merely
JW>a problem with my browser caching my error page.
JW>Unfortunately, the same error popped up a couple of
JW>builds later.  After spending a couple of days trying
JW>to hunt down my mapping error (including creating
JW>another, pure relationship mapping of Author, Book,
JW>and Publisher in a BookContract), I noticed that I was
JW>getting the same type of error but with the
JW>setPublisher method on the BookContract.  Commenting
JW>out the Publisher object on the BookContract fixed the
JW>problem...the Author and Book objects came back just
JW>fine when doing a query on BookContract.  Comparing
JW>the mappings, the Author, Book And Publisher field
JW>definitions were all the same (with different column
JW>names obviously), so I thought I was back at the same
JW>dead end.  Then I realized that the Publisher
JW>"mapping" element in the database xml came after the
JW>BookContract "mapping" element, while the Author and
JW>Book (both of which worked) were positioned before the
JW>BookContract mapping element.  The same situation
JW>existed with my original mapping of
JW>OrganizationRoleAssignment (Person and Role were
JW>positioned below, while Organization was positioned
JW>above).  I moved the BookContract and
JW>OrganizationRoleAssignment mapping element in the
JW>database xml doc to the bottom and the "Type
JW>conversion error: could not set value of FieldMolder"
JW>problem went away.  I'm just happy I've seemingly
JW>fixed a problem that's stalled me for 4 days and can
JW>make sure I position mapping documents correctly in
JW>the database file, but is this the way it should work?
JW>
JW>BROKEN:
JW><database>
JW>  <mapping href="CASTOR-MAPPING-Author.xml"/>
JW>  <mapping href="CASTOR-MAPPING-Book.xml"/>
JW>  <mapping href="CASTOR-MAPPING-BookContract.xml"/>
JW>  <mapping href="CASTOR-MAPPING-Publisher.xml"/>
JW></database>
JW>
JW>FIXED:
JW><database>
JW>  <mapping href="CASTOR-MAPPING-Author.xml"/>
JW>  <mapping href="CASTOR-MAPPING-Book.xml"/>
JW>  <mapping href="CASTOR-MAPPING-Publisher.xml"/>
JW>  <!-- Must be below reference objects to resolve
JW>setXXX -->
JW>  <mapping href="CASTOR-MAPPING-BookContract.xml"/>
JW></database>

Another solution to this ...

Bruce, just out of curiosity, would you consider this to be a bug or not ? As you are able to provide a workaround, it might as well be that there's already a bug report out there I cannot find.

AFAIK, there has been no bug filed for this. It has always been an issue with the order in which mapping descriptors are unmarshalled but I'm not sure exactly where the problem lies. At one time I debugged it a bit, but I never came to any conclusions as other issues took a higher priority.

Bruce
--
perl -e 'print unpack("u30","<0G)[EMAIL PROTECTED]&5R\\"F9E<G)E=\\$\\!F<FEI+F-O;0\\`\\`");'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo