Paul Grillo wrote:
Our application currently uses castor in more than one context. For
local messaging we treat all primitives as attributes.  We also provide
a public interface into a subset of our functionality and use castor for
XML processing.  When this takes place, we require that primitives be
treated as elements, as our 3rd parties require this.

I hope there is a way to handle this (other than mapping every class and
primitive we support in a mapping file).

I noticed a static LocalConfiguration getInstance().  This would
indicate to me that it is Application/VM wide.

Is there any way to provide this to the Marshaller?  Or somewhere where
I can control this when marshalling/unmarshalling?

Don't know the answer to the exact question, but you could use a plug-in architecture like OSGi or something similar and provide a better mechanism for access to your API so you don't have to make these types of compromises. Then you can provide a class loader to your clients and give them their own castor library to use statics on. Once their plug-in or what ever is done performing it's task then you can unload all of the libraries they are using this way.

Wade