Il giorno 27/feb/2013, alle ore 19:23, Donald Stufft <donald.stu...@gmail.com>
ha scritto:

> On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 at 12:44 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:
>>>
>>> Why not first have an a good infrastructure and capacity with
>>> pypi.python.org so that people *want* to move their files there?
>> PyPI has had very good uptime since the move to OSL. I don't have
>> numbers handy but I believe I can get them.
> I got the numbers! Since almost a year ago (This was setup at the last
> US PyCon):
>
> Uptime: 99.99%
> Downtime: 6h 58m
> Number of Downtimes: 126
>
> I want to stress again that even if that was a poor number that adding
> more points of failure only decrease the expected uptime, or at best
> does nothing.

In fact, adding a caching CDN in front of PyPI (instead of the current mirror
protocol) would probably bring the uptime close to 100% for people downloading
packages via pip.

I'm +1 on dropping the current (complicated) mirror system and external links,
and in favor of centralizing everything into PyPI, plus a third-party CDN /
hosting service. In fact, Python is a big-enough brand name that we could even
get a CDN service almost for free in exchange of an acknowledge of the CDN
company being used.
--
Giovanni Bajo   ::  ra...@develer.com
Develer S.r.l.  ::  http://www.develer.com