On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 11:26 PM, Richard Jones <r1chardj0...@gmail.com>wrote:

> That *was* the original search engine :-)
>
> Then after user complaints we devised a better solution...
>
> Always happy to take criticism of it and improve it! :-)
>
> Sent from my portable device, please excuse the brevity.

We can go a few directions:

Easy & python.org styled
* google's JS search API to get, parse and display results. $5 per 1K
queries.
* bing's JS search API. 5$ per 2.5K queries.

Easy but external
* textbox links to a google/bing search with site:pypi.python.org

Hard to get good results, but perhaps easy to try:
* Change/improve internal search engine, and invent a good ranking
algorithm.

Though I wouldn't say this is high priority at all. I personally never use
pypi search, just site:pypi.python.org on google.

Yuval