Josef Karthauser wrote:
I'm in a twisty maze of passages all alike. :)

Having just started playing with Catalyst, I'm trying to work out the
best way to implement an editing facility for DBIx::Class::RecordSet
objects.

I think you mean ResultSet ;)

  Ideally instead of coding a widget within a controller I'd
like to control the layout within the templates.  This means that I
need to be able to call something like:

    [% record.editboxfor($column) %

or some such thing.

Is this a sensible thing to do?  Has anyone got any nice recipies to
solve this?

Good places to start would be the docs for either DBIx::Class::WebForm or (as most people seem to prefer at present) HTML::Widget. Catalyst::Manual::Tutorial is definitely worth a read too, as it covers the same sort of thing you're doing.

If you're using a decent view like Template Toolkit, you will be able to manipulate forms from either Controller or View as you see fit.

HTH