We're working on something similar to Perrin.

Our (bought-in) CMS is designed for directly publishing HTML, instead we get it to generate XML files. We also have meta-data to allow editors to enable/disable certain features like comments. So we have something like - 1.xml:

<story>
 <id>1</id>
 <section>news</section>
 <title>A Story</title>
 <comments>on</comments>
</story>

The relevant Catalyst controller matches /(\w+)/story/(\d+)_.*\.html - this loads a model that finds the xml file, and parses the XML back into a perl data structure. We then pass that off to the relevant article template.

After reading the XML, you could pass of to different controllers depending on a value as Perrin suggests. In our case the articles are all pretty much the same, so we just skip over features that have been turned off.

In any case it isn't really the view driving the controller.

Carl