Anthony Gardner wrote:
Have a look at this for another angle

http://www.teambarry.com/?p=38

Ah, I like this approach very much.

It says:

"So how do you get some of the advantages of ORM and keep control over SQL? I employ composition and a couple basic design patterns. For example, I have a base model factory interface that uses chainable “Loader” modules (ie, DBILoader, MemcacheLoader, MogileLoader) to retrieve data and return concrete objects."

But what exactly are these concrete objects?

I actually like SQL and feel no need to turn it into Perl, so I
wouldn't mind a light-weight approach like this. But OTOH, as
Dave Rolsky was arguing earlier, you do want to have the
data validation in the object. So it seems like we do need *some*
type of light-weight object interface for inserts and updates.

I'd very much like to see an example of the factory and loader
classes. Radium, you on here?

Thanks,

Maurice