On 7/10/07, Jonathan Rockway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
BerkeleyDB has an RPC layer for talking to remote clients.

Interesting.  I had never heard of this before.  It looks kind of
rudimentary.  The docs say it's only single-process at this point, so
it serializes all data access.

I find the docs sufficient:

They can be rough going for someone who doesn't speak C and is trying
to figure out the right flags to use or how to deal with deadlocks.
It's all there though.

I don't think the word "database" implies anything about locking (or
relations, or ACID)...

The OP used the word "database" to mean RDBMS.  That's what I was referring to.

BerkeleyDB locking is pretty flexible.  The transaction system supports all
the isolation levels that you would expect.

I was specifically thinking of multi-version concurrency control.
According to the docs, BerkeleyDB added this in version 4.3, which is
great.  That means you can set it so that readers don't block writers.

The biggest problem I've had with the fancier locking modes was
deadlocks.  The included deadlock daemon didn't seem to help, probably
because I wasn't using it correctly.  This may have improved as well.

- Perrin