The only header I've found you can't always set via xhr.setRequestHeader()
is WWW-Authenticate because the browser thinks it should be responsible for
HTTP Authentication. Which is why the last 2 optional arguments to
xhr.open() are username and password, to effectively let you set these
headers (it does the base64 encoding for you too which is handy).

If anyone manages to remember any specific browser limitations or can find
any references please let me know since it would be important for any
RESTful design.

Patrick