Hello all,

I've been struggling with this for some time and know there must be an answer out there.

I'm using URL arguments to pass parameters to my controller. It's a site about names, so take the url http://domain.com/name/Jesús (note the accented u). The Name.pm controller has an :Args(1) decorator so Jesús is stored in $name and then passed to my DBIC model in a - >search({name => $name}) call. This doesn't manage to find the row that exists in mysql. When I dump $name I get:

'name' => 'Jes\xc3\xbas'

which I think I understand as being perl's internal escaping of utf-8 characters.

I've done everything recommended on http://dev.catalystframework.org/wiki/gettingstarted/tutorialsandhowtos/using_unicode and the name column in my mysql database uses the utf-8 charset.

Where am I going wrong?

Best regards,

--Hugh