* Bill Moseley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-10-23 06:10]:
> I've had a number of PDFs for various documents that probably
> could have been just as useful as HTML (with print style
> sheets).

That doesn’t work so well if these are documents your users will
want to use for official stuff though. Users will have to turn off
the URL printed in the page header manually, as you can’t control
that from the webapp, and browsers do not support much of the CSS
print stuff (eg. Firefox didn’t support the page break stuff when
we tested it). The htmldoc thing you linked falls down for much
the same reasons.

As for screen CSS, ours isn’t very fancy, but there *are* a few
things in there you can’t really do without CSS. Also, I would
not serve table-based pages to browsers, so if the HTML→PDF
converter lacks CSS support, that would again mean having to
maintain two sets of templates for the same data.

For us, despite our really quite pedestrian needs, there was no
feasible alternative to PrinceXML.

Regards,