My experience ...

I'm trying to put together a project to rewrite a job tracking database
currently running in FileMaker.  The functionality and scope of the job
tracking system has changed so instead of throwing more money in a proprietary,
closed system that requires a costly application on each desktop I'm suggesting
writing it as a web application with Perl & Catalyst.  The only problem is that
I've been told we would have to use Java & Struts since it's our "corporate
standard" for web applications.  Perl, ironically, is used in quite a few
places in the company, mainly in utility scripts.  However, since we don't have
anyone whose job title is "Perl developer" we can't use it for web applications.

Regards,

bill