On 06/06/2009, at 9:17 PM, Mihai Bazon wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm working on a simple CMS (actually started it for learning Catalyst,
but the goal is to be able to maintain a few websites with it).  Each
page is stored in DB and it can have file attachments, also stored in DB
(content is BLOB).

When serving an attachment, instead of always retrieving it from DB I
want to save them in a cache directory.  So the first time a file is
requested, it will be fetched from DB, saved in cache, then I want the
Web server to do the job as if it were a static file.  With plain
ModPerl, I would do it like this:

 $r->filename($path_to_saved_file);
 # plus some more hacks if it runs after PerlMapToStorageHandler
 return Apache2::Const::DECLINED;

my $file = $c->path_to($something);
if (!-e $file) ) {
        $c->model('DB::Files')->get_file(@args);
}
$c->serve_static_content($file); # part of Catalyst::Plugin::Static::Simple

or have a read of this...

http://dev.catalystframework.org/wiki/adventcalendararticles/2007/11-making_your_catalyst_app_cache-friendly