From: "Larry Leszczynski" <lar...@emailplus.org>
Hi (again) Octavian -

Is there a recommendation for storing the language ID in the URL in order
be as easy to get it from there?

I want to have unique links for each URL, so I can't just put it in the
cookies. Using ?lang=EN seems to be the easiest way, although it doesn't
look nice.

Putting it as the first element in the path info looks nice, but I don't
know how to get it from there in a single controller/action and not in
every
action separately.

Here is one way to have it in the URL without all controllers needing to
be aware:

   http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/wiki/wikicookbook/urlpathprefixing

HTH,
Larry

Thank you Larry. It seems to be what I need.

I've seen some uses of $self which were not defined in that example. Shouldn't be __PACKAGE__ instead?

Unfortunately I don't know how to make it work in some cases:

1. If I use the test Catalyst server the static URLS that begin with /static don't work because I can't configure that server to not handle /static URLS.
(But this is not so important).

2. Most important, if I need to use
[% c.uri_for('/static', 'css', 'layout.css') %]
for making it work even if I need to change the base location the app handles, then the static files are not served by Apache directly but by the app.

If the app listens to the / location, the request is in this case:

GET /en/static/css/layout.css HTTP/1.1

I think I could make a hack somehow and configure Apache to do a request to /static whenever the user tries to access /en/static or /fr/static... but I guess this could be done with mod_rewrite which I don't know how to use yet.

Is there a more simple method to make the web server serve the static files directly?

Thank you.

Octavian