Kee Hinckley wrote:
No argument there. I dearly wish the effort that had gone into Perl6 had gone into a
Perl5 IDE and web framework with a single "best in class" set of options (with
docs) to bring a new, non-perl, programmer up to a working web site the same way it's
possible with Ruby. Elegance isn't worth a damn if nobody is using it.

Perl 6 was/is the right thing to do. We can't keep bolting modern things onto Perl 5, it just causes more issues like the performance things mentioned in the start of this thread. I wish a lot of this "modern perl 5" effort had gone towards Perl 6... But like Lars pointed out, that's not how it works with volunteer time.

I'm sure Perl 6 ports of Cat and Padre will follow it's release.

Lyle