On 30 Apr 2010, at 23:18, Bill Moseley wrote:

But, for a tiny, tiny percent a request might fail. Then the question is *why* did it fail? What WHERE condition or join failed?

Just like our favorite topic premature optimization, I don't think it would be wise to write the above in multiple stages (and multiple requests to the database) just to check each step for something that almost never fails.

On the other hand, it's not unreasonable for an API request to return a reason why something failed. Sure would make tech support's life easier.

So, what would you recommend? Have a separate /user/$id/debug method that does a separate step-by-step of the business logic? Scrap all that really handy chaining of resultsets that works so well with Catalyst's chained actions?

Given that 'a tiny, tiny percent a request might fail', why not do the step by step for the tiny failed set and then present the reason to the user for those?

(Or am I missing something obvious here?)

Cheers
t0m