The reference to $cachetime was found on the Catalyst Wiki:
http://wiki.catalystframework.org/wiki/adventcalendararticles/2007/11-making_your_catalyst_app_cache-friendly

As of my last post, I had not implemented/acted on the $cachetime, but since then I've successfully set the http response header 'Cache-Control' to 'no-cache'. This has not solved the problem - Yes, I restarted my httpd server.

At present, my cohort and I suspect that we are up against a database caching problem, but haven't completely ruled out anything. Am I better off asking the DBIC list?

Steve