Hi Charlie -

> once the problem starts the test server won't respond to any further
> requests; requires a restart. Canceling the current request results in
> following error:
>
> Caught exception in engine "Wrong Content-Length value: 52"

May be totally related but I have seen those symptoms when the body of a
POST request gets read earlier in the request than usual, and then looks
empty when it is supposed to be read (so the Content-Length is zero
instead of whatever it should be).  In my case I was calling
$c->req->param inside prepare_path, and it seemed like it was sucking in
the whole POST body, leaving it empty for when it needed to be accessed
later.

HTH,
Larry