On this unexpectedly nice afternoon, I walked around the Freese Rd. gardens for about an hour. Even though this area was undoubtedly well-worked in recent days, birds were abundant and "pished up" easily to fence posts and weed tops. Sparrow numbers were impressive, and I'm not sure I've seen that many WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS in a single spot east of the Mississippi River - at least 30 adults and immatures. Other estimated numbers were 50 SONG, 50 CHIPPING, 20 SAVANNAH, 10 FIELD, 6 SWAMP, 5 WHITE-THROATED, 1 FOX, and 5 DARK-EYED JUNCOS (1 with fairly pinkish sides). In spite of close binocular views of at least 100 individual sparrows, I did not see any good candidates for Lincoln's.

Also several RED-WINGED BLACKBIRDS and many AM GOLDFINCHES. nearly every time I looked up, one or more RED-TAILED HAWKS were circling or cruising overhead.

Later, I checked Bomax Driive, but it was much quieter -- several SWAMP, SONG, and WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS, and a lone HERMIT THRUSH were all I could find.

Around my yard today were several GOLDEN-CROWNED and 1 RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS, and many flyover RED-TAILS and TURKEY VULTURES.

enjoyer of all kinds of birding posts and rare bird alerts,

KEN
Ken Rosenberg
Director, Conservation Science Program
Cornell Lab of Ornithology