Daily, downy, hairy, and red bellied woodpeckers feast on our suet. A pileated pair are rare visitors.

The pileated woodpeckers definitely dominate the feeder. When one approaches for landing, all else flies.

The hairy woodpeckers rule on a daily basis, aggressively forcing red bellies and downies away. While the hairy seems unperturbed by movement in our house, a shadow on any near window will cause the pileated to move to safety.

Next in the pecking order would be the red bellies. A hairy will push a red belly off the suet, while a red belly will dominate a downy. If our shadows hit the sliding glass door close to the feeder, a skittish red belly will abandon his/her meal and head for the pine boughs.

The smaller downy woodpeckers do not fly at our shadows, but are chased by larger neighbors.

The nuthatches are wary, watching from a distance, then walking up the tree with the suet feeder is unoccupied. They are troubled by any movement in our house and depart quickly when a woodpecker lands.

With the timid brown creepers, caution rules. They stay low, avoid the crowds, and glean the droppings of suet.

Contrary to many bucolic paintings, I have never seen two species feeding together. Suet is survival. And just what does 'eats like a bird' supposed to mean?

susan barr
brooktondale