I drove to Montezuma this morning before I knew of the fire. The smoke was
visible from Warren Road in Ithaca. The wildlife drive was closed, but there
were crowds at the visitors center watching the fire.Not paying any
attention to the fire at all were the Tree Swallows, who are back en masse
there.

When I left this morning, across from the airport on Warren Road, I saw a
Tufted Titmouse collecting fur from the tail of a dead red squirrel. The
squirrel was in the middle of the road, and the titmouse was hopping back
and forth to get to the side when cars approached.

Best, Laura Erickson

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Laura Stenzler <l...@cornell.edu> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>  3:15 pm - I called the visitor center at Montezuma. The fire is just about
> out, the drive is closed and the visitor center will close shortly. The fire
> was in the cattails in the main pool area.
> Laura
>
>  Laura Stenzler
> l...@cornell.edu
>  ------------------------------

Laura Erickson
Science Editor
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
159 Sapsucker Woods Road
Ithaca, NY 14850
607-254-1114

If you've found this information useful, I hope you'll consider supporting
our work on behalf of birds and other wildlife.   In addition to knowing
that you'll be making a difference for conservation, you'll receive  our
award-winning Living Bird magazine and informative BirdScope newsletter four
times a year.  We invite you to join our "force for nature."  To sign up or
watch our video about membership, visit
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/NetCommunity/membership or call us at
1-800-843-2473.

For the love, understanding, and protection of birds

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of birds.  There
is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature--the
assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

--Rachel Carson