Early this morning I was rowing quietly along the east side of the lake a couple of miles N of Myers. All of a sudden I heard Loon calls close behind me, I stopped rowing and a COMMON LOON paddled by about 20 ft away, and called repeatedly for about 2 minutes while I sat still nearby. Wonderful sound- I could hear echoes coming back from the far side of the lake. Does anybody know whether such vocalizations have any significance as to migratory versus potential breeding? - I don't remember hearing anything like this continuous outpouring on the lake before. I was very surprised that this bird paid no attention to me (unless the vocalization was a reaction to my approach?) In many encounters with Loons on lakes in NH, VT and Maine, my experience has always been that they dive well before you come as close as I was this morning. This bird just sat there, and finally I rowed away.

--John Greenly
Ludlowville