On Sunday May 23ed, I led a half day trip to Summerhill with the Cayuga Bird Club. I was joined at the lab by Judy, Leigh, Klaus, Bob McGuire, Bob Packard, Bruce, Paul, and Don. Later we met up with Bobbie and Linda at the corner of Route 90 and Lick Street. The morning cloudiness turned into sunshine and we had a great morning of birding. We first stopped at the corner of Bone Plain Road and Sheldon Road. We watched Bobolinks, Meadowlark, Red-winged Blackbirds and Barn Swallows flying over the field. There were also Tree Swallows, and Canada Geese out in the field, the geese looking quite out of place. A home across from the field had nest boxes and we observed a beautiful Eastern Bluebird in their yard.

We made stops along Lick Street when we got to the Summerhill area. Highlights included Alder Flycatcher, Field Sparrow, Blue-Winged Warbler, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Magnolia Warbler, Red-breasted Nuthatch, White-throated Sparrows, Ovenbirds, Brown Creepers, and Raven. We heard, but only got quick glimpses of Yellow-billed Cuckoos.

At the corner of Lick Street and Hoag Roads, we spent a good deal of time. This is where patience paid off, and we finally got a look at the Mourning Warbler Bob McGuire had heard out the car window. It took some time but it finally sat up fairly high for us to watch. This corner was busy with birds, including Chest-nut sided warblers, Blue-Winged Warbler, Cedar Waxwings, Indigo Bunting, Veery, Wood Thrush, Purple Finch and a more distant Scarlet Tanager.

As we continued up Hoag Road we encountered Black-throated Blue Warbler, Hermit Thrush, and several more Brown Creepers. It was getting late so we drove over to the the McIllroy Preserve and did a quick walk back to the platform overlook. New birds we heard or saw included Black-throated Green Warbler, Northern Waterthrush, Great Crested Flycatcher and Eastern Kingbirds. We watched the Kingbirds in a nest cavity right out in front of the platform. The Grackles, many of them, were catching dragonflies of some sort. They looked as if they just wanted to show off their catches, sitting up on branches or snags, just holding on to their treasures. On the way around the trail we saw many pink lady slippers in one area. It was very nice morning to be out birding.

Good Birding!

Gladys