All,
I was lucky to enjoy a great morning of birding today in the Montezuma
area (Seneca and Wayne Co.) with Nancy Chen, Tim Lenz, Alberto Lopez,
and Jay McGowan.  We headed up from Ithaca and had a nice start with a
predawn Great Horned Owl perched on a barn on Rt. 34B in North Lansing
(Tompkins Co.).  Shorebird habitat was a bit lean at the visitor
center and main pool of Montezuma NWR, and so we focused on the
refuge's Tschache Pool, Mays Point Pool, and the Knox-Marcellus
Impoundments instead.  Along with the usual suspects, Tschache Pool
held the continuing adult Tundra Swan (mega rarity in summer) and a
surprise Black-and-white Warbler in the parking lot.  With
Black-and-whites not breeding locally, this was a surprising find and
perhaps indicative of the recent push of landbird migrants (which has
recently included some swallows, Yellow Warblers, Bobolinks, etc).  At
Mays Point Pool, one of the first birds we encountered was a singing
Acadian Flycatcher, quite rare in well-covered Seneca County and a new
county bird for everyone in the party.  Also here were Cerulean
Warblers feeding young, Black Terns feeding young, Common Moorhens
feeding young, Pied-billed Grebes feeding young... and a female
Redhead.  The western Knox-Marcellus Impoundment was impressive with
the recent drawdown, with excellent numbers of wildfowl, herons,
shorebirds, terns, and swallows.  A family group of Trumpeter Swans
(with 6 juveniles) was feeding along Towpath Rd. and provided for some
close photos.  Other wildfowl highlights included the continuing adult
Snow Goose, high numbers of Wood Duck, Mallard, Green-winged Teal and
Gadwall, lower numbers of American Wigeon and Northern Shoveler, and a
single drake Blue-winged Teal.  Herons included 268 Great Blue Herons
and 8 Great Egrets.  An uptick in coast-bound shorebirds was revealed
by increased numbers of Lesser Yellowlegs (35), Least Sandpipers (45),
and Short-billed Dowitchers (24; all hendersoni); these attracted the
attention of a subadult Sharp-shinned Hawk, which surprisingly managed
to pick off a Least Sandpiper from the panicked pack.  The extensive
cattail marsh at the east end of Van Dyne Spoor Rd. in Savannah (Wayne
Co.) is hosting lots of interesting marshbirds this summer.  We had
close views here of Black Tern (which we also saw at Tschache, Mays
Point, and Knox-Marcellus, albeit at greater distances) and a stellar
Least Bittern that called and flew a short distance.  A Wilson's
Snipe, presumably breeding, flew a circuit here as well.  Martens
Tract, also near Savannah, had several species of marshbirds with
young and a flyby American Bittern.  A short stop at the Empire Farm
Days fairgrounds in Seneca Falls turned up lots of Horned Larks (25)
and a single Upland Sandpiper, though up to 15, including juveniles,
have been seen here in recent weeks.  Back in Ithaca, a swing by the
Bluegrass Lane horse barns turned up nearly 400 Bank Swallows on the
wires - a very nice count for Tompkins Co.
With a combination of great breeders and the beginning of the
southbound pendulum swing, we had a really nice morning of birding.
Cheers,
Tom

--
Thomas Brodie Johnson