I met Andrew VanNorstrand at Montezuma this afternoon.  We spent most of the
time on Towpath Road sifting through the shorebirds in the Knox-Marsellus
Marsh.  Although plenty of birds were there when we arrived, I got the
impression a few birds continued to drop in over the course of the
afternoon, perhaps in the wake of the front that passed midday.

Knox-Marsellus was very active, with several hundred peeps, mostly LEAST and
SEMIPALMATED, ~5 PECTORAL, at least 5 WHITE-RUMPED, ~15 BAIRD'S (including
one flock of 11 in one scope view!), 1 SOLITARY, 1 SPOTTED, ~25 STILT, ~40
DOWITCHERS (apparently mostly SHORT-BILLED, at least two juvenile
LONG-BILLED), 2 BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS (mostly flying around calling), ~30
SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS, and the continuing 2 RED-NECKED PHALAROPES.
Interestingly, 5 SANDERLINGS (3 adult, 2 juveniles) were among the
shorebirds.

A good amount of reshuffling occurred several times when two juvenile
PEREGRINE FALCONS decided to team up and hunt shorebirds in flight. While
most birds were in the air, two mostly basic-plumaged adult HUDSONIAN
GODWITS joined the rest of the flying birds. They landed out with the
dowitchers for a while, then on the mud in the next pond over, then were
flushed by the Peregrines (ultimately joined by a third juvenile Peregrine)
and disappeared. While we were scanning, I heard a WHIMBREL call twice not
far off, but I was never able to locate it.  It may have been flying by or
it may have been in the taller vegetation, but in any case, keep an eye out
for it in the area.

Also on the flats were 5 SANDHILL CRANES and the resident Snow Goose.

Habitat around Montezuma headquarters is somewhat limited, but the part of
the visitors center pond closest to 5&20 had ~30 Lesser Yellowlegs, Solitary
Sandpipers, and several Least Sandpipers.

I checked Myers Point on the way up and on the way back. On the way up, a
Lesser Yellowlegs shared the spit with several Killdeer, Spotted Sandpipers,
and a Solitary Sandpiper.  I also heard a Semipalmated Plover call several
times from out towards the lake.  On the way home, an adult SANDERLING was
also present on the spit, the bird I was actually hoping to discover both
times.

Jay McGowan
Dryden, NY