Paul (& all),
Yes, that's a first winter male BLACK SCOTER like Tim found, and I & several
other folks saw on Saturday.  Today I scoped it fairly close and in great light.  The
profile, as Paul says, was like Sibley shows for female or juvenile Black Scoter,
(Today it did not seem so flat-crowned, and the bill looked a bit more upswept.)
The plumage is all very dark brown.  In that brief taxi break at Stewart Park near
the large pavilion this afternoon I saw much of what Paul reported.  However,
I only saw 1 PIED-BILLED GREBE from my narrow vantage, but I did see perhaps
20 RUDDY DUCKS.  All our usual Aythya were in the slightly expanded
flock - still mostly LESSER SCAUP, but at least 1 each of GREATER SCAUP, REDHEAD,
RING-NECKED DUCK, and the single new female CANVASBACK.  The new female
COMMON GOLDENEYE was very close and may have been associating with the same
flock.

Another good "office bird" for me today was a FOX SPARROW on Nelson Rd a short
distance outside the Town of Ithaca.

--Dave Nutter

PS Way to go, Tim (photo!), Tom, & Matt finding the Bohemian Waxwing!!