From: Dave Nutter <nutter.d...@me.com>
To: cayugabirds-L@cornell.edu
Sent: Sun, November 14, 2010 7:35:33 PM
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] Threat to COOTS at Stewart Park?

On Saturday afternoon between 2 & 2:30 I was at Stewart Park, some of the time
with Ken Rosenberg.

We saw 2 carcases in the water fairly far out.  One I'm not sure of the ID.
The
second, definitely a Coot,

I didn't notice until a Great Black-backed Gull was working on it and tipped it
up to show the distinctive

lobed toes.  I saw no struggle and didn't notice the gull carry it in, so I'm
not sure why I didn't notice the

second carcase at first.  Great Black-backed Gulls then took interest in the
first carcase as well.  I don't

know what killed either of them, but certainly the Great Black-backed Gulls and
the Bald Eagle are likely

candidates, and the Red-tailed Hawk is another possibility.  For that matter,
people bring dogs into Stewart

Park even though it is posted "no dogs."  There was a Boxer with some people by
a bench on Saturday,

and it was straining against its leash as if eager to grab whatever bird it
could.  I know people take dogs

off leash in Stewart Park early in the morning, which is against the City's
leash law as well as park rules.

So maybe dogs and their scofflaw owners are the culprits.  Coots look like ripe
meals to be plucked:

plump slow reluctant fliers.  I don't know why nobody's seemed to go for them
there before.  Their only

defense so far as I know comes from a story, a recipe actually:  When you've
shot a Coot, nail the Coot

to a board for three days, then throw away the Coot and eat the board.  Coots
are not reputed to taste

very good.  I'm not sure this reputation is deserved or more deserved than
certain other waterfowl.

If anyone has real information about what's killing the coots, I am also
interested.

--Dave Nutter