Hi All,

I wanted to make people aware of a mysterious neurological disease that has
afflicted American Coots, and, by extension, Bald Eagles and other higher-level
predators, at artificial lakes in the southeastern U.S. for over 15 years.
This
disease is know as avian vacuolar myelinopathy (AVM), and can be read about
here
(and on other web sites):

http://wildlifedisease.nbii.gov/diseasehome.jsp?disease=Avian%20Vacuolar%20Myelinopathy%20%28AVM%29&pagemode=submit

I hesitate to mention AVM in the context of the recent dead coots at Stewart
Park, because it seems unlikely to me that AVM is involved.  I say this
because,
based on my limited knowledge of AVM, I think it is entirely confined to
artificial lakes and reservoirs in the Southeast.  In addition, my
understanding
is that dying coots afflicted by AVM are usually very conspicuous due to their
abnormal behavior, and while local observers have mentioned dead coots, nobody
has said anything about seeing live coots acting in strange ways (having
trouble
swimming, flying, or walking).

Matt Medler
Ithaca