Good evening,

Today, I made a trip around Cayuga Lake with Evaristo Hernandez, Diane, and
Aleta. We decided to go up the West side to try for the King Eider, which we
had last heard was seen at Sheldrake Point. Dipped on that...but ran into
Dave Nutter, Ann Mitchell, Bob Guthrie, and who I believe was Leona Lauster,
all at Sheldrake Point for the same purpose. That's when we found out that
it was sighted again on the opposite side of Cayuga Lake from us...at Myers
Point in Lansing. Our original group decided to continue on up around the
Lake, figuring we'd try to hit Myers Point before dark. On the way out, we
also saw Bob McGuire who was scanning the loons for that other hopeful
consolation prize the Pacific Loon (which was not there at that time).

Anyway, highlights from the day were several (7-10) Rough-legged Hawks along
the auto loop at Montezuma NWR, 2 Snow Buntings at the Savannah Mucklands,
26 SANDHILL CRANES (one group of 20 and a group of 6) and many Tundra Swans
at the Knox-Marcellus Marsh, 1 Eastern Screech-Owl at the Factory Street
pond in Union Springs, thoughts of Short-eared Owls as we passed Rafferty
Road..., and finally, the KING EIDER at Myers Point.

We first stopped at the North point (DEC land) at Myers Point, to scan any
ducks that could be hiding on that side. No Eider. But did see a total of
four LONG-TAILED DUCKS from there. Then we headed straight for Ladoga Park
(where the female King Eider hung out for several weeks one winter, a few
years back). After a little bit of scanning around, the KING EIDER became
evident just to the West, in the distance, over the tops of several dock
pilings. We rejoiced and took some distant crummy shots for a while, then
headed to the Private Marina, to see if that might offer a better vantage
point. As I had suspected, the Eider was not visible from that little South
lookout. It was out of sight and around the bend to the Southeast of the
Private Marina. There weren't nearly as many diving ducks as were present
when the female King Eider was here...which could be why she was around for
so long and this bird keeps scooting around to different spots on the lake.

It was really nice to get out birding with my family for a day and it was
nice to get to know Evaristo better!

Good birding!

Sincerely,
Chris T-H

--

Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes
TARU Product Line Manager and Field Applications Engineer