Hi all,
I've been to the Cornell compost facility off Stevenson Road several
times in the last few days.  Over the weekend, Kevin had a
second-cycle ICELAND GULL:
http://picasaweb.google.com/KevinJ.McGowan/Gulls201102#5565806580337010306
On Monday, gull numbers were very low and I was not able to find
anything out of the ordinary.  Yesterday, after the return of the
students and the resulting influx of wasted food, the numbers were
greatly augmented.  I found an adult ICELAND GULL with moderately dark
wingtips and an interesting pale Herring-type Gull that may well be a
Herring x Glaucous hybrid (Nelson's Gull), or possibly just an
abnormally large, pale Herring Gull.  A sequence of this bird begins
here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jmcgowan57/Winter20102011#5566183702254267842
Finally, today I checked in again.  All the gulls were up on the
hillside above the piles when I arrived and I was not able to pick out
anything unusual.  As I was about to leave a noticed a few gulls that
had moved onto the lower piles near the entrance, and quickly found an
adult GLAUCOUS GULL among them.  This bird flew around a lot and
probably went to the fresh pile as soon as I left.  It stands a head
taller than the surrounding Herring Gulls, with pure white wingtips, a
slightly paler gray mantle, large head and bill, and an obvious yellow
eye.  A sequence of this bird begins here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jmcgowan57/Winter20102011#5566522186077431218

As I was coming up Rt. 13 between Warren and Sapsucker Woods, I saw a
pair of COMMON RAVENS flying northwest over the road.  As I was
walking into the Lab, I saw another COMMON RAVEN flying north over the
pond, calling loudly as it flew.  Other birds at the Lab lately
include the continuing FIELD SPARROW, a female PURPLE FINCH, a flock
of COMMON REDPOLLS, and several WHITE-THROATED and SONG SPARROWS.

Good birding.
Jay McGowan
Dryden, NY